Sunday 13 March 2016

LAST WORDS (2) - Blessed William Hart to the Oppressed Catholics of Elizabethan England - Reading for 13th March - English Martyr

LAST WORDS (2)
Blessed William Hart to the Oppressed Catholics of Elizabethan England
Reading for 13th March
 
 
"This is the first, the last, the only request I make, and have yet made or ever shall.
Fulfil these my desires, hear my voice, keep to my counsel.
But why do I, a miserable and unhappy sinner, beg of you that, in this age, most poisoned and most dangerous to the good, you should persevere firm and constant in your confession, where angels, archangels, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, the whole world beseech it, when the salvation of your souls and the good God Himself make the same entreaty, that you should remain firm in the faith you have once received and in your confession of the Truth?
May God of His infinite Mercy help you to do so, and I, your spiritual father, though weak and loaded with sins innumerable, will never cease to pray for you, both in this life and the next.
Wherefore I entreat you, in every way I can, to be mindful of me as often as you offer your devout prayers to God, lest I be like a melting candle, which giveth light to others and itself consumeth.
Again and againt farewell, my much desired ones. The servant of all and every one of you."
 
- Blessed William Hart - martyred 15th March 1583.
 
"Lest, perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway." - 1 Cor. 9, 27.
 
Reading for 13th March
The Mementoes of the Martyrs and Confessors of England and Wales
by Henry Sebastian Bowden of the Oratory
 
For DVDs about the English Martyrs:
 
In 2007 Mary’s Dowry productions created a new form of film media to present the lives of the saints. Mary’s Dowry Productions recreates silent visuals, informative, devotional narration, and original contemplative music that touches your spirit to draw you into a spiritual encounter with the saint. Watch with your spiritual eye, listen with your spiritual ear. Our films seek to offer a window into the lives of our saints. Using your spiritual senses we invite you to shut out the world, sit prayerfully and peacefully and go on a journey of faith, history and prayer with the Saints and English Martyrs.




No comments: